2007年7月10日火曜日

Book Review 1-12: The Battle of NEWTON ROAD

I read The Battle of NEWTON ROAD. This is written about a battle for houses between a woman who lives in an English town and a civil engineer.

Newton Road is in an English town. Sally Robson who lives there, near her school is a teacher. People who live there like each other. One day, she saw her neighbors, Helen Taylor and Paul Johnson. They were talking about an important public meeting which will be held in the Town Hall on Saturday. She heard it. She thought she didn't like it, because she couldn't understand the importance of it. Saturday came, and the people of Newton Road went to the Town Hall. There was a man here. 'My name's Wood. I'm a civil engineer. I'm going to build new houses and a new road for you. However, first, I'm going to knock down the old houses in Newton Road,' he said. 'We want to stay near our friends and our jobs. That's very important!' Sally said. Sally and Wood quarreled a lot. She thought a battle broke out. He told people who live in Newton Road the fascinations of new houses and a new road many times for a long time. Four months passed. He couldn't wait, so he went to Newton Road with men who have yellow machines, which are big and can knock down houses. 'I'm going to build the new road!' he said. 'No!' Sally said. The people of Newton Road were sitting in the road. Since they did so, he went to the gas, electricity and water companies. Then, 'You can stay here, but you can't have gas, electricity and water,' Wood said to the people. Sally went to a telephone, and talked to a newspaper man about this. Next day, 'THE BATTLE OF NEWTON ROAD FOR HOMES,' the newspaper said. In other words, this appeared on it! Because of this happening, Sally and the people won the battle! A meeting for the people in the Town Hall was held a few days later. Many people went there. Wood came too. 'I'm sorry for my rudeness about the previous happening. As a result of talking to my boss, you can have your friends and neighbors, but you can have your new houses too,' he said to the people. Sally and the people were very happy to hear that. Ultimately, all things were no problems!

The Battle of NEWTON ROAD is interesting for me. There is a scene why I think so. It is the battle between Sally and Wood in the Newton Road. I think it may be probably the climax of this. I want you to read this and appreciate the interest of this!! Incidentally, I think The Battle of NEWTON ROAD isn't long, and is easy to see because pictures of characters are printed on each page. [473 words]

0 件のコメント: